Monday, March 13, 2006

Back home

After a tiresome flight back and an even more tiresome wait for baggage when we arrived at DFW, we finally made it home around 10 pm last night. As much as I enjoyed the trip, I'm glad to be back home and in my familiar surroundings.

I'm still processing three days' worth of teaching from the conference. It's a lot to listen to and each session in itself merits a lot of thought, but when you pack them into three days it all starts to blur together after awhile. I'll be bringing my notebook out of the suitcase today and reviewing my notes from the sessions and refreshing my memory. I may get out the cd's of my favorite sessions and listen to them as well. I will be posting later some thoughts and reviews of the conference and my thoughts regarding Dr. R.C. Sproul, Jr.'s presence and teaching at the event. I understand that this was a problem for many people, although I didn't give it too much thought until he started speaking and it then occurred to me that some people might object to his being there. No one walked out on his session (that I could see) and I think that if anything, the controversy surrounding him made his talk that much more interesting for those of us aware of what is going on. For the most part, however, it is my opinion that very few people are aware of what has happened, judging by the amount of his materials purchased after his session and by the fact that his session cd was completely sold out by the last day, and by the amount of people talking to him afterward (all of this I was privy to as I worked in the bookstore the entire conference). But, more on it all later. Right now I'm going to post a few pictures and then run off to unpack and get some laundry washed. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is just too easy to say "Ligonier made a mistake keeping RCS,jr on the schedule." I think taking him off the schedule quietly may have been the best course of action: it acknowledges that there are things going on without directly saying anything negative about him. I appreciate the fact that your posting does not trash him. There are a few blogs that make it a point to pass judgement.

Gilbert

Shelbi said...

Hi Gilbert,
Thank you for the comment. I agree with you that perhaps the best thing for Ligonier to do was to quietly remove R.C. Jr. from the lineup; however, Joni Eareckson Tada was unable to come due to health problems and so perhaps they just didn't want to scramble to replace two people at once. :-)