Friday, August 07, 2009

Speaking of Ms. Austen:

the BBC released this promo for Emma a couple of weeks ago. I'm just not sure about this version...

I know, I know, the book purist inside me sometimes gets in the way of my enjoyment of adapted-from-a-favorite-novel films, but I do make exceptions sometimes. For instance, if the film doesn't deviate too much from the original story and if the spirit of the novel remains (i.e., if the filmmakers don't try to modernize or to politicize it), then I can usually overlook a few things; however, the scene of Emma bursting into the library and blurting out something like "I'm never going to get married" is a little strange. Not Austen-like if you know what I mean. I'm just not sure what to expect from the rest. I am still looking forward to it though since I'll watch almost any period drama the BBC puts out.

Another one I'm looking forward to is the new Cranford. I loved the original mini-series almost as much as the book itself (and did I mention I'm hard to please? :) ) If only I didn't have to wait so long for it to hit the USA. Sigh.

No comments: