Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Butterflies

One of the best things about living where we do is being able to witness the Monarch butterfly migration to Mexico once a year. Every time I step out of the front door and into my mom's garden, those colorful butterflies rise and fall, circling around and above me, greeting me with their pulsating wings and peppering the sky with vibrant hues of orange and black. It is a moment of serenity and joyous movement all at once, as only butterflies can do - and I watch in amazement and wonder, giving thanks to our Creator who gives and breathes life into all creation, people and butterflies alike. :)

Last Saturday, we had the joy of joining my sister-in-law and Kathryn for an event near their home celebrating the Monarch butterfly. There were butterfly releases, face painting, pumpkin decorating, butterfly picture making, and free popcorn. A few pictures of the event, taken by Landon:

I guess scarecrows like butterflies, too.
It was a chilly morning, perfect for stopping in at the little coffee shop on Main Street.
A vintage steam engine still makes a run between local cities. People waiting to board.

What is an outdoors event, any event, without funnel cakes and:

Lemonade?

Kathryn on a hay bale.

Love this sign!


Kathryn models her very own butterfly LassieGirl pinnie, created for the event.


2 comments:

JacquiKnight said...

How wonderful. I wonder where the celebration (for the Monarch) was. I'm over here in New Zealand (WAY over here - near Australia) and enjoy reading about the celebrations and Monarch madness that goes on at this time of year. One day I hope I'll witness it for yourself.

You may enjoy my friend's blog...

http://butterflyedith.blogspot.com/

Shelbi said...

Hi braenz,
Thank you for the link, I did enjoy visiting the blog. It's always great to see people giving glory to God for his creation. :)