Thursday, August 23, 2007

Right-Wing Anthropologie?

A store that I love to shop in but can rarely afford (unless it's on sale) is Anthropologie. They offer beautiful, feminine clothing and lovely home decor items. The last time I was in the store, I was mesmerized by all of the cute, retro, and just plain pretty kitchen aprons they had. I have to say that when I go shopping, I just shop in stores that I like, the ones who offer the kind of products that I am interested in finding. I don't think about the political views the store's owners have and promote, and that may or may not be a good thing for me to just ignore. Come to think of it, it probably isn't. But I do. When I shop in a store that is owned by a major corporation, I naturally assume that I just don't want to know the politcal views of the people in charge, or the causes their money goes to support. So it was with a lot of surprise that I discovered this information from a disgruntled group of liberals who were discussing online their conflict over shopping at Anthropologie while protesting/disagreeing with the founder's politics. (Interestingly enough, they don't seem to have as much of a problem with some of the products that have been for sale at Anthropologie and it's parent company, Urban Outfitters, which I have seen and thought were over the edge in terms of racial or cultural insensitivity) I had to laugh over the whole discussion, as I'm just not sure that a few thousand dollars donated from the pocket of a millionaire to a conservative Republican senator makes that millionaire's corporation a right-wing one (actually, if you have ever shopped Anthropolgie or Urban O., you would really think the opposite!).

But, having said all that, I shall feel a little bit better about shopping Anthropologie from now on. :)

No comments: