Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Day of Good Food

My Culinary Feast began this morning with a delightful breakfast of pumpkin cream cheese muffins, sausage, Promised Land chocolate milk, orange juice, and coffee with peppermint mocha flavor. Oh my. My sister set the table with candles and cards with "thanksgiving" verses on them, cute plates and napkins. It was so pretty that I nearly thought that I had slept through the day and had just woke up in time for dinner. But no, the day of feasting had only just begun...
In two hours I will be gorging on turkey, ham, my grandmother's famous dressing, cranberry sauce, my mom's famous sweet potato souffle, bread, corn, carrots, green bean casserole, and whatever other people are bringing that I won't know about 'till I get to the feasting site. For dessert there is Hunter's apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, Ashley's famous cheesecake, cookies, and I don't know what else.

Every year it is tradition to go to my Gran's house for the dinner. Anyone and everyone are welcome and there is always enough food for all. It is a tradition that I love and can't imagine life without. I think that I will always, for as long as I live, envision Thanksgiving as that delightful day of feasting, family and memories made at my Grandmother's.

I think I will be starving myself tomorrow. But today will surely be worth it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I enjoyed both of your Thanksgiving blogs today. Lots of good things to think about.

We have spent our 2nd year in a row just staying home - a different type of Thanksgiving - but enjoyable just as much as other Thanksgivings.

One thing that I learned today - inspired by your post - my little guys did not overeat today - us bigger people did!!!! It got me to think why... maybe because they don't know that the food in front of them is only prepared for the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals at our home - they don't understand - this is a one time shot (except for the leftovers that we will have for the next 3 days - which I love the food - AND I love the fact that we don't have to "cook" for 3 days - just reheat :) ) Anyway, something to think about - at what point do the children "come of age - of the realization that Thanksgiving is the time to stuff yourself" Right now, I would love to still be a child and not have that mindset LOL

Mrs. Molder

Shelbi said...

Hmm, some interesting thoughts to ponder and then discuss at our next get-together! :-)

I, like you, see the merits in both ways of celebrating Thanksgiving. We have experienced it both ways as there were a few years when Gran wasn't available to do big Thanksgiving dinners. It really is nice either way...